A recent study has looked into the way that this channel is now being used by consumer packaged goods.
Millennial Media has just released its latest report containing data it produced based on an exploration of how the consumer packaged goods (CPG) vertical is applying mobile marketing to their efforts.
This is the latest in a number of related studies that are being performed by the company.
The mobile marketing research is the most recent in the Mobile Intel Series by Millennial Media, and has produced one of the most comprehensive reports that this ad network firm has been able to create until now. The company is hopeful that the data will be quite useful to others investigating the use and trends in this relatively new channel.
The report identified considerable growth in the use of mobile marketing from 2011 to 2012.
Some of the primary findings that were identified in this CPG mobile marketing study include:
Technology Quotes That Invite Thought -
• The spending for mobile marketing in the consumer packaged goods vertical increased by 235 percent from 2011 to 2012.
• The most commonly targeted audience for mobile marketing campaigns, ads and promotions by consumer packaged goods buyers was “Foodies”. These are individuals who are highly interested in the source, flavor, ingredients, and nutritional value – among other issues – relating to the food that they eat.
• After Foodies, the next most frequently targeted CPG buyers for these campaigns are pet owners, parents, avid shoppers, and household shoppers.
• Among consumer packaged goods campaigns on the Millennial Media platform last year, 40 percent applied real time and location based targeting among their mobile marketing techniques.
• Among the impressions that were made for consumer packaged goods campaigns run on the Millennial Media platform in 2012, 82 percent were reported to have come from smartphones.
• The remaining 18 percent of the mobile marketing impressions on that platforms came from tablet users.
This data provides some clear insight into the way that mobile marketing is being used in this particular sector of the industry, as well as the direction that it has taken over the last year. It also helps to predict future trends.